New York City, Honeymoon Day 1.5, Part 1

Andrew and I had quite a few busy days before we left on our honeymoon, including a whirlwind trip up to BC, Canada to visit with my family and say goodbye before we moved to KS.  We spent time at the lake with my cousins and aunts and uncles, went to the ocean with my siblings and mom, and had a wonderful brunch with some old friends from highschool that I hadn’t seen since 1998/1999.  It was a very short visit, but a wonderful one at that. Two days after we got back from Canada, we left for our honeymoon to NYC!!

Our flight left SeaTac at 11:30 at night, as we thought a red-eye would allow us a bit more time in the city.  The day we left, July 9th, we did so many errands, grocery shopping, went out for lunch, and packing.  We came home and my sister did my hair for me, I felt so pretty!!!

iPhone backup Aug 4 1026


iPhone backup Aug 4 1029


iPhone backup Aug 4 1033




Our luggage, aren’t those tags super cute? I got them at Archie McPhee in Seattle the last time we were there in June.

We were on such a high driving to the airport, I just couldn’t wait to start the trip with my husband! We were going to treat ourselves to a nice dinner at the airport, but landed up just eating Qdoba, which was fairly cheap (a wise decision because we landed up spending a TON on food in NYC) in the main terminal.  We moseyed on over to our terminal and stood in line to ask the flight attendants if we could board early, we were second in line.  Here I was, all prettied up, standing with my husband and then this guy in front of me turns around.  I knew I recognized him, and he was staring straight at me, looking me in the eye, but my mind was blank.  As soon as he walked past me, it hit me…it was JOSHLUCAS!!! OMG JOSHLUCAS WAS ON OUR FLIGHT.  HOLY CRAP.

Andrew got a good laugh because my jaw dropped, and I was desperate to get a picture with him, but I left him alone because he had his baby boy with him.  He’s just as handsome in real life as he is in the movies.  I spent the hour and a half before the flight silently stalking him in the terminal haha, Andrew laughing at me the whole time.  Good thing he’s a good sport about that!

Ok, we landed in NYC around 7:30AM EST, and as soon as we walked out of the terminal, we were hit with a blast of sticky, heavy, muggy air.  Yuck.  We had hired a car service though, and they were there to pick us up quite fast, we only waited about 10-15 minutes.  I was glad for that because we were pooped! We didn’t sleep well on the flight, despite having a drink beforehand, and it was so muggy. I loved seeing the different cultures even at the airport; We saw a very orthodox Jewish family, and I felt bad for those girls because they were wearing black stockings and heavy shoes on a HOT day in July! But I suppose they are used to it because that is how they have been raised.  It was fascinating seeing them like that though, as it’s something I have never seen in real life.

Our cab driver was insane when he was driving in Manhattan, he scared us a bit, but the ride in itself was an experience.  We saw so many iconic buildings on the way to our hotel, including the UN!  You really do learn to drive like a maniac when you live in the city…crazy!!!

Our hotel was Ink 48, and I hope we stay there again when we’re in NYC, because we loved it.  There was a mixup with our rooms, so the first night we had a standard room, and the 2nd day we were switched to a junior suite.  The hotel was very modern, and for the most part they were quite friendly. I think I forgot to get pictures of our room, unfortunately.  We dropped our bags off at the hotel around 10AM, freshened up in the bathrooms, and then headed off for our first honeymoon adventure, finding somewhere to eat!

iPhone backup Aug 4 1081


The view from our first hotel room

One of the places on my foodie list was “La Bergamote“, a little french bistro a few blocks away from our hotel in Hell’s Kitchen.  It was so amazing!!

I ordered the Croque Madame, with a side of berries, and Andrew had the Croque Monsieur with a side of bacon.  We also had their house coffee, and absolutely LOVED it. We told them we were on our honeymoon, and they gave us a free pastry. Thank you!   We loved this place so much we came back again the next day for more. I highly recommend this place to anyone who is visiting NYC, you will not be disappointed. Unfortunately, I only had my large Canon 60D camera with me, and did not take photos of our food the first day.

After stuffing ourselves with was quite possibly the most delicious brunch ever, we headed to Pier 83 for our next adventure, a Circle Line Cruise of Manhattan!

More to come soon!





Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s